.

Smiths Consumer Products PP1 Pocket Knife Sharpener


This sharpener is a wonderful tool if used properly. There is superb feedback from the edge as you sharpen it. I avoid the carbide unless the edge is damaged and I can't get to my sharpening stones. The carbide blades are aggressive I really only use them with a light touch to remove a nick or burr if I did something stupid and damaged the edge. Remember, unless YOU make a mistake and damage the edge, you should never get a burr or nick in your blade. Still it's good to have the carbide if it's needed. The ceramic I use in the morning, before I use the knife, to touch up the edge. Several passes with a light touch is all that's needed. Occasionally I touch it up during the day if I feel the blade dragging a bit.
 
It is possible to damage a blade with this (or any other) sharpener. Operator error, not the tool, would be the issue there. Uneven pressure, too heavy a pressure or too much haste are the main culprits causing trouble. This is a lightweight, small tool, it is best used with finesse. it is far better suited to several light, controlled strokes rather than a heavy handed mauling of your edge.

Also note that the grind angle is fixed at a fairly shallow angle that is not the best for fine edges. This is a utility grind angle. An angle best suited to field knives, kitchen choppers and general kitchen utility blades. With gentle use the ceramic can be use on fine edges, but a steeper angled tool would do a better job. Still, I do use the ceramic sharpening notch to touch up my kitchen knives and it does a decent job. 

I've carried one of these ever since I first found them. I own several and have had a few "begged away" by friends. I've used it extensively. I've never damaged an edge or created a wavy, uneven edge. If you do manage that, you're not using the sharpener correctly. Light passes, even pressure and PAY ATTENTION. Avoid using the carbide unless you have a damaged or severely blunted/rounded edge. Even then, those problems are better fixed with a good quality stone. You can completely restore an edge with this tool, but it's takes more time and far more concentration that using a large stone.

This is a great sharpener it makes knives super sharp but not quite razor sharp it is much better than Smith's Abrasives 2 Step Knife Sharpener, that sharpener gets knives just as sharp as it has the same angles to the ceramic part of the sharpener; but that uses rods which get loose and end up rolling as you draw your knife through it and don't sharpen your knife. Also this is easier to get a blade into the ceramic sharpening part. This also includes a serrated knife sharpener, and this works well but i can't say much for it as it is the first serrated knife sharpener i have ever used.

I recommend pulling the blade through the carbide part 10 times using semi heavy to medium force, the using the ceramic part about 10 times using medium force then lighting up to about as light as you can get by the 10th stroke skip the carbide part if your knife is already adequately sharp, only use the carbide part if your knife i dull or damaged as it takes off a lot of steel.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © Gadget Review